Riddles of the Universe tells the story of Commander Eileen Collins. On 23 July 1999, Commander Eileen Collins took the space shuttle Columbia into orbit. Her mission: to launch the Chandra X-ray Observatory, which will help scientists find answers to some of the riddles of the universe.
The features of this book are:
- Fact files
- Technical language: dark matter, payload, sonic boom, supernova
- Dramatic NASA photographs
- Labelled diagrams
- Captioned photographs
- Website references for further research
- Procedural text
- The format of the countdown sequence.
Riddles of the Universe can be used to introduce and reinforce the following skills:
- Drawing on students’ background knowledge
- Exploring technical vocabulary
- Locating relevant information to support claims
- Writing questions that encourage further research
- Presenting information in different formats
- Rewriting text from a different point of view.
Themes covered in this book are: Exploration, Space, Maths, Earth Science
Reading Level: 31++ (Black)
Guided Reading Level30
Genreand log | Diary | Explanation | journal | Report
Theme/TopicEarth Science | Exploration | Maths | Space
Strategy/SkillsAsking questions | Information skills | Prior knowledge