Star Thief is an action packed story that children will enjoy reading. The book tells a tale of a boy named Ricky who is crazy about space rocks, so the exhibition of space junk at the museum is a dream come true. However, when the famous Coyote meteorite goes missing from the exhibition, his dream turns into a nightmare as he tries to solve the mystery and find the thief.
The features of the book are:
- Specialised vocabulary- meteorite, asteroid, gravitational pull, comet, diamond saw
- The introduction of clues to assist both the characters and the reader
- The atmosphere of suspense
- The use of italics for the main character’s thoughts
Star Thief can be used to introduce and reinforce the following skills:
- Relating events in a story to students’ own experiences
- Discussing issues that arise in a text
- Exploring how an author introduces clues in amystery story
- Writing newspaper reports
- Rewriting text in different genres
- Discussing text to generate further questions.
- Looking at the consequences of characters’ actions.
Themes covered in this book are: Problem Solving, Adventure
Reading Level:31+ (Bronze)
Guided Reading Level30
Theme/TopicAdventure | Problem Solving
Strategy/SkillsDrawing conclusions | Making connections | Making inferences | Text structure