Stumpy’s Secret is a feel good story children will enjoy reading. In the book Joe relates a story about his stash that is missing from his uncle’s junkyard. He blames a local character called Stumpy, but as the story unfolds, due to Joe’s detective skills the real thief is discovered.
The features of Stumpy’s Secret are:
- First person narrative with direct communication to the reader
- The use of flashbacks to inform the reader
- The use of similes eg:- shine out of that guy’s face like a beacon; standing around in their pyjamas like a bunch of escaped hospital patients
- The alliteration in the title and chapter headings
- The use of descriptive language – echoed around the yard like Christmas gone mad; It was like those finger bones jumped down my throat and stuck there; my heart tried to burst out through my ribs.
Stumpy’s Secret can be used to introduce and reinforce the following skills:
- Predicting probable actions and outcomes
- Understanding the use of chapter headings
- Investigating the narrator’s way ofcommunicating with the reader
- Interpreting and analysing characters’ relationships and feelings
- Exploring the use of simile.
Themes covered in this book are: Personal change, Problem Solving, Character education
Reading Level: 31++ (Black)
Guided Reading Level30
Theme/TopicCharacter Education | Personal Change | Problem Solving
Strategy/SkillsCharacter study | Making predictions | Writer's craft