In the book Outer Space Outlaws it tells the story of Millie and how she finds it hard being a younger sister. So when the opportunity to be a hero arrives, she doesn’t think about the possible consequences. Her adventures take her to planet Kalguri on the trail of a monster. Her journey gives her the excitement she wants, and she learns some valuable lessons along the way.
The features of this book are:
- Written in Comic strip format
- Text features:- labels, speech bubbles, capital letters, enlarged typeface for effect
- Onomatopoeia:- Choof! Oof! Schoonk! Sproing!
- Sci-fi vocabulary:- vidcast, light year, hyperthrust
- The use of humour
- The use of linking text:- And so …; Meanwhile …; An hour later .
- The speech of Jeeves the help-bot
- The language of the aliens
Outer Space Outlaws can be used to introduce and reinforce the following standards-related skills:
- Drawing on students’ prior knowledge
- Exploring the structure of the comic book genre
- Expressing and supporting a response to a particular genre
- Exploring specialised vocabulary
- Viewing situations from different perspectives
Themes covered in this book are: Adventure, Journeys, Character Education
Reading Level:31+ (Bronze)
Guided Reading Level30
GenreGraphic Text | Science Fiction
Theme/TopicAdventure | Character Education | Journeys
Strategy/SkillsPrior knowledge | Text structure | vocabulary and word