In this book I Can Write the reader will follow a simple photographic story about small children writing in recognisable settings using a range of writing implements.
The features of this book are:
- Bold and easy to read text
- Photographs to support the text.
- Different settings for each picture.
- Repetitive and predictable structure.
- The high-frequency words:- “I”, “in”, “the”, and “on”.
- Silent “w” in “write”.
- Initial letter change from “in” to “on”.
- The compound word “anywhere”.
- The theme covered in this book is: Communication
I Can Write can be used in a guided reading setting to introduce the following skills and strategies:
- Practising pointing one-to-one as each word is read
- Reading a range of simple, high-frequency words in context
- Introducing and discussing new words contained within the story
- Writing new words independently by hearing and recording the sounds in sequence.
Reading Level: 1-2 (Magenta)
Book dimensions 16.5cm x 14.5cm; 8 pages