In this book Old and New, the reader will follow two children who are setting up a garage sale with all their old items. But during the garage sale they discover something new.
The features of the book Old and New are:
- Bold, easy to read text.
- Repetitive and predictable sentence patterns.
- The rhyming structure of the text.
- One sentence per page.
- One word change per page with two on the last page.
- The high-frequency words:-“We” and “have.”
- The use of photographs.
- The exclamation point on the last page.
- The “ch” blend:-“chairs.”
- The theme covered in this book is: Relationships
Old and New can be used in a guided reading setting to introduce the following skills and strategies:
- Pointing one-to-one as each word is read
- Introducing and discussing new words contained within the story
- Predicting the story line using illustrations from the book
- Writing labels for a specific purpose.
Reading Level: 1-2 (Magenta)
Book dimensions 16.5cm x 14.5cm; 8 pages.
Guided Reading Level2
Strategy/SkillsActivating prior knowledge | Determining Author's purpose | Discussing point of view | Making predictions | Phoenimic awareness | vocabulary and word
Dimensions165 x 145