In the book I Can Draw the reader follows a little girl as she draws each part of a bird. The commentary given by the child can help the reader draw a bird too.
The features of this book are:
- The repetitive and predictable structure.
- Clear letter spacing.
- Photographs to support the text.
- The change in the use of high-frequency words on pages 2 and 3 from “a” to “the”.
- The exclamation mark on page 8.
- The use of inset drawings and photographs to support the use of the labels.
- The “dr” blend – “draw”.
- The hard “c” in “can”.
- The high-frequency words:- “I”, “a”, and “the”.
- The themes covered in this book are: Animals, Birds and Insects
I Can Draw can be used in a guided reading session to introduce the following skills and strategies:
- Reading a range of simple, high-frequency words in context
- Predicting the story line using illustrations from the book
- Encouraging reading using expression to increase understanding
- Writing labels for a specific purpose.
Reading Level: 1-2 (Magenta)
Book dimensions 16.5cm x 14.5cm; 8 pages.
Guided Reading Level2
Theme/TopicAnimals | Birds and Insects
Strategy/SkillsFluency | Making predictions | Vocabulary and word study
Dimensions165 x 145