Children ask numerous questions. But in the book Skeletons they will have some of their questions answered. Does a fish have a skeleton. Does a chicken have a skeleton? What about a bat or a snake? Skeletons uses text and illustrations to show the various skeletons that animals have.
The features of this book are:
- The use of photographs and diagrams to support the text.
- The repetitive structure of the text to reinforce vocabulary.
- The use of compound words:- “inside” and “outside”.
- The repetition of the “sk” blend:- “skeleton”.
- The use of the exclamation mark.
- The high-frequency words:- “A”, “it”, “on”, and “the”.
Skeletons can be used in a guided reading setting to introduce the following skills and strategies:
Guided Reading Level9
Theme/TopicAnimals | Birds and Insects
Strategy/SkillsExploring text structure | Making inferences | Making predictions