In the Desert, there are things you can hear, smell, taste, and touch. There is also something that you should not touch! This book follows the experience of a young boy as he explores the features of a desert.
The features of this book are:
- The high-frequency words:- “you”, from”, and “can”.
- The repetitive and predictable structure.
- Clear letter spacing.
- The contraction “don’t”.
- The use of senses to describe experiences.
- The use of ellipses, exclamation mark, and commas.
- Photographs to support the text.
- The multi-syllabic words :- “mountains”, “desert”, “flowers,” “candy”, and “cactus”.
- The themes followed in this book are: Life science and Habitats
In the Desert can be used in a guided reading setting to introduce and reinforce the following skills and strategies:
- Blending sounds together to make a word
- Using a range of punctuation to read expressively
- Introducing and discussing the meaning of new words within the story
- Innovating on an original story line to write another version.Reading Level: 6-8 (Yellow)
Book dimensions 16.5cm x 14.5cm; 8 pages
Guided Reading Level6
Theme/TopicEnvironment | Habitats | Life Science
Strategy/SkillsFluency | Using texts as models for writing | vocabulary and word
Dimensions165 x 145