In Peters Collection, the reader will follow Peter as he searches in various places in and around his house to find a collection of 100 items that he needs to bring to school. He looks in his toy box, he looks under his bed. Where will he find one hundred things?
The features of this book are:
- Photographs supporting the text.
- Repetitive text reinforcing vocabulary.
- The use of regular and past-tense verbs:- “counted”, “looked”, and “shouted”.
- Counting patterns.
- The use of quotation marks, exclamation marks, and ellipses.
- The use of natural language.
- The use of common objects.
- The use of prepositions:- “inside”, “outside”, “under”, and “in”.
- The high-frequency words:- “looked”, “his”, “them”, “away”, “put”, “not”, “some”, “were”, and “but”.
- The theme covered in this book is: Maths
Peters Collection can be used in a guided reading setting to introduce and reinforce the following skills and strategies:
- Reading an increasing range of high-frequency words in context
- Using a range of punctuation to read expressively
- Using visual cues to monitor that reading is making sense
- Incorporating diagrams and maps to support ideas.
Reading Level: 6-8 (Yellow)
Guided Reading Level8
Strategy/SkillsComparing and contrasting | Determining Author's purpose | using text as a model for writing
Dimensions165 x 145