People Are Working is a non-fiction story about the work that needs to be done before a museum can be open to the public. This story follows the workers as they get ready for opening time at the museum.
The features of this book are:
- Clear photographs, including insets, to support the text and show close-up detail.
- Repetitive text using two main structures.
- The use of question marks, exclamation marks, and quotation marks.
- The depiction of different occupations.
- The high-frequency words:- “are” and “you”.
- The theme covered in this book is: Careers
People Are Working can be used in a guided reading setting to introduce and reinforce the following skills and strategies:
- Using a range of punctuation to read expressively
- Using visual clues to monitor that reading is making sense
- Summarising the main parts of the story
- Innovating on an original story line to write another version.
Reading Level: 6-8 (Yellow)
Guided Reading Level8
Strategy/SkillsActivating prior knowledge | Analysing themes | Making connections
Dimensions165 x 145