How Long Do Animals Live? Do you know how long a rooster lives? How about a duck? This book informs the readerabout life spans of a variety of animals.
The features of this book are:
- Two lines of text per page.
- Photographs to support the word change on each page.
- The use of a timeline.
- The use of question marks on each page.
- The word “can” to show onset and rime.
- The high frequency words:- “can”, “just”, “for”, and “like”.
- The blends:- “ch”, “gr”, and “wh”.
How Long Do Animals Live? can be used in a guided reading setting to introduce and reinforce the following skills and strategies:
- Using knowledge of onset and rime to create new words from those in the story
- Using a range of punctuation to read expressively
- Predicting outcomes from the illustrations
- Writing labels for a specific purpose.
Themes covered in this book are: Animals Birds and Insects, Maths
Reading Level:9-11 (Blue)
Guided Reading Level11
Theme/TopicAnimals | Birds and Insects | Habitats | Science and Technology
Strategy/SkillsFluency | Making predictions | Phonemic awareness
Dimensions165 x 145