Butterfly Day describes a special day at Maungawhau School. Follow the story of a class where the caterpillars in the classroom have been in their cocoons for so long. Now it’s time for them to hatch. When the butterflies come out of their cocoons, they take part in all of the classes lessons! Included in the book is facts about butterflies.
The features of this book are:
- Photographs to support the text.
- The contractions:- “can’t”, “wouldn’t”, and “wasn’t”.
- The use of compound words:- “butterfly”, “sunshine”, “classroom”, and “themselves”.
- The blends:- “cl”, “fl”, and “cr”.
- The word endings:- “er,” “ed”, “ly”, and “ing”.
- Factual information about butterflies.
Butterfly Day can be used in a guided reading setting to introduce and reinforce the following skills and strategies:
- Recognising features of different genres
- Discussing new vocabulary and extending understanding
- Recognising and reading a range of different word patterns, including word endings
- Using diagrams, charts, and other illustrations to support writing.
Themes covered in this book are: Animals Birds and Insects, Life Science
Reading Level:21-22 (Gold)
Guided Reading Level22
Theme/TopicAnimals | Birds and Insects | Science and Technology
Strategy/SkillsText structure | Using graphic sources | vocabulary and word
Dimensions165 x 145