In the book Busy Bird children will love reading about a busy mother bird while she builds her nest, hatches her eggs, and then feeds her chicks.
The features of the book are:
- Clear, evenly spaced, two-word text
- Consistent placement of text.
- Playful illustrations to support text.
- The high-frequency words :-“Some” and “A”.
- The initial “b” consonant:-“busy” and “bird”.
- The sequential nature of the visual story line.
- The use of “s” to denote the plural form:- “twigs”, “eggs”, “heads”, and “chicks”.
- The use of the exclamation mark on page 8.
- The themes this book covers are: Habitats, Animals, Birds and Insects.
Busy Bird can be used in a guided reading setting to introduce the following skills and strategies:
- Predicting the meanings of new or unfamiliar words from the context of the story
- Recognising the relationship between letters and their sounds
- Pointing one-to-one at each word to ensure an appropriate match
- Writing a story that incorporates a similar model to that of the book.
Reading Level: Level 1-2 (Magenta)
Book dimensions 16.5cm x 14.5cm; 8 pages
Guided Reading Level1 | 1-2
Theme/TopicAnimals | Birds and Insects | Habitats
Strategy/SkillsMaking predictions | Phonemic awareness | Phonics
Dimensions165 x 145